Covent Garden is associated with the former fruit and vegetable market in the central square, now a popular shopping and tourist site. The district is divided by the main thoroughfare of Long Acre, north of which is given over to independent shops centered on Neal’s Yard and Seven Dials, whilst the south contains the central square with its street performers and most of the elegant buildings, theatres and entertainment facilities, including the London Transport Museum and the Theatre Royal on Drury Lane 

In early Middle Ages the area belonged to West Minister Abbey and was used as orchards, it has often been referred to as "The Garden of the Abbey and Convent", and later "The Convent Garden".

In the sixteenth century this land was acquired by Hency VIII and granted to John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford.

Inigo Jones was commissioned by the Earl to build some fine houses to attract wealthy tenants. Jones also designed the Italianate style arcaded square in the middle of Covent Garden. This new design influenced town planning.

In the 19th century the coach-building trade dominated Long Acre. By 1906, 41 buildings in the street were occupied by traditional coach-builders and the motor trade.

The section on the middle North side from Neal Street to Arne Street was occupied by Odham Press from about 1890 to 1970. It published John Bull, which was the most popular magazine in Britain from 1916 to 1934.

90 Long Acre was designed by R Seifert and Partners in the late 1970s. It occupies a whole block bordered by Endell Street, Shelton Street, Arne Street and Long Acre.

By the 1990s the Building was considered to be in need of refurbishment and rebranding.

A new double-height reception area was formed by removing part of the first-floor slab with a simple palette of materials (white plaster, white marble, limestone, timber and stainless steel) used to create an elegant and luminous interior. The forecourt has been totally recast, with granite paving, raised planters, low Portland stone walls and appropriate planting to make an inviting preface to the Building.

 Long Acre early 1900's 
Long Acre at present